With most metropolitan areas targeting zero-emission environments, an increasing number of cities and transport companies are considering a fully-electric solution for their urban bus network. In this context, UITP Asia-Pacific, in cooperation with Shenzhen Bus Group Co., Ltd. (SZBG), designed and organized this training programme & study tour on Electric Buses.
Similar to previous trainings, the programme will provide a classroom training in Shenzhen, and offer a study tour covering Shenzhen and Guangzhou to provide participants a rewarding experience to visit the Chinese city with significant electric bus usage, and the home for the top electric bus manufacturer in China.
The course will offer a comprehensive overview of the electric solution for urban bus networks, from the setting of a city strategy, the choice of technology and the battery, the procurement of buses, all the way to the implementation and operation of the system. In addition to our interactive plenary sessions, workshops will allow participants to apply their learnings in small groups.
- Introduce the electric solution, the different types of technologies and compare their benefits and drawbacks
- Understand how to get value from electric buses looking at their economic, environmental and societal feasibility
- Learn from experience on how to implement and run electric bus lines successfully
- Understand the implications for operations and infrastructure
- Learn about the implementation and running of electric buses
- Discuss the performance of an electric bus solution with a practical application during our dedicated workshop
- Project managers, engineers and other professionals eager to learn more about the technology, the implementation and the running of electric buses
- Staff from public transport or authorities planning to extend a fully-electric solution to the core part of the urban bus network
- Staff from the bus industry worldwide involved in the market uptake of electric buses
- Professionals interested in obtaining a wider and international perspective on electric buses and eager to learn more from international best practice
- Get inspired by our trainers, understand the main aspects of electric buses and learn from successful best practice
- Participate to interactive plenary sessions with introduction by course leaders, presentation by the trainer and open discussion with participants
- Challenge your practical knowledge on the technology, the implementation and the running of electric buses
- Address the topic from an international perspective, enriched by different cultural approaches and points of views
- Participate to workshops allowing you to apply on a concrete case the main principles and tools learned
- Benefit from a unique exchange of knowledge and experience between professionals
Our skillful trainers are composed of international experts and professionals with extensive experience and knowledge in the strategic, operational and technological areas of electric buses.
*UITP reserves the right to make amendments to the programme or any related activity.
Session 1: Introduction: An electric solution for urban bus networks
What is an electric bus and how can electric buses contribute to making public transport network competitive and our cities sustainable? What are the drivers and barriers when it comes to the choice of technology? How can it affect the institutional organisation and governance in a city?
Session 2: What impact on operations?
From line management and maintenance to training of personnel, driving and safety, the operations of a fully electric bus line differs substantially from that of a traditional bus line. The importance of studying the initial operational needs are key to successfully introducing electric buses, as much as the design and dimensioning of the line according to the energy supply and usage. International best practice will present return on experience from the operation of electric fleets across Europe and the world.
Session 3: Batteries for electric buses, Infrastructure & auxiliaries
This session will look into new auxiliaries and technologies used to run electric busses, whether it be the installation and running of charging infrastructure, the impact on information technology systems, driver assistance, standardization of the connection or the technical evolution of the battery.
Session 5: Getting the procurement and commissioning process right
To successfully implement and run fully electric line, it is essential to make the tendering process evolve from a simple vehicle purchase to the tendering of a comprehensive electric system, taking into account life cycle costs, charging infrastructure, batteries, economic models, leasing and renting, etc
Session 6: Getting value out of electric buses
What are the financial constraints and benefits of implementing an electric bus line? How to analyse the electrical life cycle costs? What risks exist and what can be the impact on costs? How to run a healthy budget by balancing and foreseeing accurately new types of savings and costs?
Fees for full 5-day training & study tour include:
- Training materials
- Coffee breaks and lunches
- One welcome dinner
- High Speed Train ticket from Shenzhen to Guangzhou
- Transportation from training venue to technical visit
Fees for 3-day study tour include:
- High Speed Train ticket from Shenzhen to Guangzhou
- Transportation during the technical visit
* Participants from developing nations benefit from a special discount. Check here the list of eligible countries.
Terms and Conditions
Please note fees do not include visa application or arrangement. Please contact your local travel agent or local embassy for travel visa to China.
Participants are also required to make their own arrangement of accommodation in China.
**Registration fees are transferable to another employee of the same organization but it is non-refundable.
Registration is on first-come-first-served basis as there is limited capacity for the training programme/study tour. All payment must be paid on or before 5 March 2020 to confirm a placement in the programme.
For group registration (visa enquiry and/or logistics), please contact:
Manager, UITP China Liaison Office
Tel: (+86 755) 8895 9188
This programme is kindly hosted by SZBG.
Shenzhen Bus Group Co., Ltd. (SZBG), established in 1975, is the largest joint venture of public transportation in Shenzhen, with a long standing history and premium brand. SZBG has more than 28,000 employees, operates 346 bus routes, and owns a fleet of 12,813 vehicles (including 6,053 fully electric buses and 4,681 fully electric taxis). There are 104 charging stations and 1,704 charging piles, and the depot area is 940,000 square meters. The Group has achieved full electrification at the end of 2018.